Monday, March 7, 2011

Married to the Mascot

Last Friday was Grandparents Day at the kids' school.  For Ryan, this meant another opportunity to don The Hawk mascot costume.  Dressing in a bird get-up is just one of many consequences he suffers from being the husband of a PTA President.  He's either taking tickets, running a booth or flying around as The Hawk at school events.  When I first asked him to be the Mascot, he didn't hesitate.  Which surprised me.  I thought he was going to say that he'd have to think about it.  But I'd forgotten that by the time I had asked him to be The Hawk, he already had years of practice performing as various characters:
First came Spiderman at my nephew's 4th birthday party.  A neighbor saw him leaping from the rocks and asked if he was for hire. 
I told him to not take less than $50 an hour.
(Spidey in spandex?  I'll take it any day. It's hot).
Ryan then went to the dark side and brought out his inner Darth Vader for my nephew's fifth birthday bash.
This is when I really started to worry. 
He didn't exit on cue and we had to pry him away from fighting with the birthday guests.
Next was the Easter Bunny costume for our annual 
Neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.
Finally, it was time for him to strut his stuff in front of a much larger crowd as the Valley View Hawk.  His first appearance was at a family dance at the school.  He gave The Jazz Bear a run for his money and his performance did wonders for his already pumped up ego after getting such a great response from his previous costumes. By this point, he was asking me when the next school activity was.
So when Grandparents Day came, he was more than ready to become The Hawk once again.
Grandma LeMone claimed the Hawk got a little too frisky with her and we almost had a harassment suit on our hands.
The best or worst part of the wardrobe of costumes is what people might think if they ever peeked into our closet.  Between a Hawk head, Easter Bunny get-up and Wolverine Claw, the perception might be that we're either really adventurous or Ryan has some great side gigs going on.  His secret's safe with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment