Friday, February 3, 2012

Tony Awards...Here We Come!

Every year at Valley View, the 6th grade students get the opportunity to participate in a musical production.  This year the play was Annie.  So back in October when it was time to sign up to volunteer...I didn't hesitate.  I mean with my background in film and executive producing abilities (our annual neighborhood Halloween movie rivals most Hollywood productions) I knew this would be right up my alley.  And considering that this was Jackson's last year at Valley View, I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to be involved in a production like this with him.  Starting in October, we spent every Tuesday and Thursday after school for about an hour and a half rehearsing.  My friend and I directed and other moms taught the kids the music on Wednesdays.  After Christmas break we started meeting three days a week.  And the kids seriously ran the show. They moved scenery, set up crew backstage, ushered guests in, designed the programs, manned the spotlights and sang their hearts out.  January 31st came and we performed the play in the morning for the school and later that evening for a packed house of proud parents and other family members.  My friend Becky and I were presented flowers in front of the audience before the play began and while I live for speaking into a microphone in front of large audiences, I refrained from taking the mic out of the teacher's hands to give a pre-rehearsed, Oscar-like acceptance speech. Instead, I graciously accepted the flowers and blew a few kisses to the audience.  That's right.  When you put in countless hours "for the children" to make a production like this possible, you get to damn well do whatever you want for your few brief moments on stage.  I felt like I had won an Academy Award and I took full advantage of my time in the spotlight (although it was only for 30 seconds). I'm not going to lie though.  This baby was alot of work. But also alot of fun and I'm honestly sad it's over.  While volunteering for this was "for the 6th grade students" it was 99% for my Jackson who I hope will remember the time that his mom helped direct his play, one of the last big things he will do before leaving elementary school. And that memory will be more valuable than any time in the spotlight for me.

Ryan did Sandy's make-up. Er...I mean face paint.  I kept referring to his skills as putting on make-up and he corrected my every time.  It's not make-up, it's face paint. I guess it doesn't sound good to be a grown man that's great at applying make-up. 
 Me and my friend Becky who also directed.  If this picture doesn't tell you what kind of directors we were, I don't know what will...
 
 Jackson did such a great job as an FBI Agent.  He had the important role of arresting Rooster, Lily and Miss Hannigan at the end of the play.  He was awesome!
 Grandpas and Grandmas were there to celebrate the big night.
 Jackson and his friend Reagan who played Rooster.
Honestly, there was nothing quite as emotional as watching the kids sing "Tomorrow" at the end of the night knowing how much hard work, time and effort they put into the play. Yes. There were tears.  
Til'  Tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. looks like a blast! i love that ryan is such a makeup artist, so fun!

    ReplyDelete