Ryan and I just sent Jackson packing to a five day wilderness survival adventure camp. Okay, so maybe I'm being a little dramatic since hot showers, sleeping in cabins, hanging with friends and catching critters in a tin cans is far from fending for your life in the wild. But it is the longest he's ever been away from home without anyone in the family. Bags were packed, secret note from mom tucked away and forbidden treats stashed nicely in his suitcase. I don't care if they say treats are banned. What kind of parent do they think I am...not going to send treats with my son? Honestly. Before the send off, we reviewed some rules, both safety and social:
1) Mind your manners. This includes not chewing with your mouth open and saying please and thank you.
2) Be nice to everyone.
3) Sit next to the person who doesn't have any friends.
4) Wear deodorant and brush your teeth or you won't have any friends.
5) Say a prayer if you're scared or uncomfortable.
6) Play dead if you're being chased by a bear.
7) Take lots of pictures.
8) Remember that you can always call home.
9) We love you.
The first stop of the morning was to McDonald's for breakfast.
1) Mind your manners. This includes not chewing with your mouth open and saying please and thank you.
2) Be nice to everyone.
3) Sit next to the person who doesn't have any friends.
4) Wear deodorant and brush your teeth or you won't have any friends.
5) Say a prayer if you're scared or uncomfortable.
6) Play dead if you're being chased by a bear.
7) Take lots of pictures.
8) Remember that you can always call home.
9) We love you.
The first stop of the morning was to McDonald's for breakfast.
Jackson and his friends ready for five days of fun.
I'm cursed. I can't escape the infamous cooky picture face from Jackson and Ryan.
Yes, I documented the entire bus loading process, okay!
One last goodbye. Why doesn't he look sad to be leaving me? I'm sure he's crying on the inside.
Right about now he should be opening his suitcase and finding the note and Sweetarts that I stuffed in there. I keep telling myself that I'm sure he'll be fine. But, then why am I still wondering what have we done by sending our eleven year old to Clear Creek? I guess we're turning our boy into a young man, that's what we've done and it feels pretty good. Although, so help me if anyone touches a hair on his head or calls him a mean name I'll hunt them down like a rabid dog on the street...
No comments:
Post a Comment