Thursday, June 16, 2011

Scenes from Strawberry Days - Part I

 The 90th annual Strawberry Days celebration has arrived.  And in true Strawberry Days fashion, we've planned the week and readied ourselves for the events. 
Festivities began with the concert in the park and a full helping of fresh strawberries and cream while enjoying the music.
Last night was the City of Fun Carnival.  When the carnival rolls in, so does one of the best weeks of the summer.  You see folks that you never knew lived here. Any maybe then don't.  They're probably roadies following the carnival from city to city and it's worth the price of admission to just people watch.  It's sticky, hot, and I love every minute of it.
Logan and Noelle braving The Magic Carpet ride. 
Jackson and his friends took to The Hammer. 
I worry that with it being a traveling carnival and all, some bolt or screw will be missed in the set up of the rides and someone will go flying through the air at mach speed (I just pray it's not one of my kids).  I guess that's the chance you take at the City of Fun. 
Ryder opted for a calmer ride. 
Jackson and his friends after The Hammer, The Zipper and The Gravitron.  Stephen wasn't feeling so hot and looked pretty green after his third ride.  Luckily, I talked the kids into waiting to eat dinner after the carnival.  I think I saved them and other carnival goers from post dinner upheaval. 
 Logan and Noelle hit the potato sack slide.
The Badlands Express is one of Ryder's favorites. 
Carnival food. Greasy, heavy, pure carbs, high calorie and oh so good. Even if we don't buy anything, just the smell and sights of the cotton candy and candied apples are a treat.  Yes, I would spend $4 for a bag of fresh cotton candy because it tastes so much better at the carnival. 
The Ferris Wheel...the official carnival ride.
And Logan and Noelle were brave enough to go it alone.  I was concerned when Logan got off and said that he saw red lightning in the distance.  Something tells me sitting in a metal structure high in the air when lightning is striking nearby, isn't the best idea. 
After the fun, we walked down to patronize the local Purple Turtle restaurant for a greasy heap of tots, onion rings, fries, burgers and nuggets.
It was here that Ryder introduced me to his signature, "Hamburger Kiss."  He told me it's where he takes a bite of hamburger and gives me a kiss. 
I was ready and waiting. 
On our way back to the car, we found a few extra tickets in our pockets, so the kids got one more ride each.   
Our original plan with the extra tickets was for me and Ryan to take a romantic ride on the Ferris Wheel and let the kids fend for themselves, but the line was too long.  I have never taken a spin on the PG Ferris Wheel' O Love and I've got three days left to make it happen. 
To be continued...

1 comment: