Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The End is Here

No, I'm not prophesying the end of the world (although, the cuckoo cuckoo guy that predicted it before says it's going to be October 21st), I'm talking about the end of the school year.  The end of another year before Jackson goes to Jr. High, a countdown to Ryder starting preschool, the end of me being PTA Pres and the beginning of watching my boys grow up a little too fast (now I'm getting cheesy).  I know the end of school was last week, but we've been busy lounging around the house doing nothing during the first couple days of summer break and it's now time to get serious and present the end of school year recaps.  Get your popcorn ready....

Before the year had officially started, Jackson and his friends competed in the annual Strawberry Days Relay for Valley View and took 1st place, winning the school some mula!
Next, it was on to the Strawberry Days Parade, in which the Hawk made his first public parade appearance.  Jackson was a maniac and jumped on his pogo down the entire parade route.
With school starting the next day, we thought a "Back to School Dinner" would be appropriate.
 
 Front porch pictures on the first day of school are a tradition.
Soon, Halloween came and the kids donned their best costumes for the annual Halloween Parade. 
Ryan and I got in on the fun for the Halloween Carnival. 
Yes.  I love Halloween okay.  And I have like five different costumes.  It's crazy I know. On Halloween, it was The Witch who paid a visit to Logan's class. 
 Jackson's 5th grade teacher, Mr. Schoonover spent hours creating this Vietnam Memorial in the hallway.  He received a Purple Heart from that war and he left many of his priceless belongings out on tables for students to see.  It was amazing.
The first ever lighting of the school Christmas Tree, which is a 45 year old pine tree in front of the school.  Vandals broke many of the lights only a couple of days before the lighting, so we did our best to fix them.  It was a Christmas miracle that the tree lit up right on cue.
Jackson and his friends working the Talking Reindeer.
Logan's 2nd grade performance was a highlight of the year. 
The PTA is asked to do alot of crazy stunts "for the children." Holding a huge snake at an assembly shouldn't be one of them, but it was.  This is my friend along with six other adults holding this snake.  This was also the assembly where Jackson learned what types of scorpions are deadly and identified the poisonous one on our Mexico trip.
Logan and his friend Connor at the annual Walk-A-Thon, which is always an event the kids look forward to. 
Jackson won a soccer ball for his cool hat. 
Me lovin' up on Hawkie (He couldn't keep his wings to himself.  I just hope none of the kids saw him grab my butt). 
Speaking of walking, Jackson walked 57 miles this year in Walking Club.  I am so proud of him.  It's quite an accomplishment!
Logan and his friend Steven at Field Day.  Believe it or not, Steven is only 1 year older than Logan, but 2 feet taller. 
Treats were made throughout the year.  These are yummy Sunflower Cookies that we made for Jackson's South Dakota report.  Thanks to his report, I found a new favorite summer cookie. 
Logan took Dirt Cups to his class for his birthday.  The kids have been taking this treat every year to their classmates since Kindergarten.  The best part is, telling the kids that I scooped the dirt from the garden.  Some have chosen not to eat it. 
Jackson took 1st place in his class for the Jacks Tournament.  I practiced with him alot and it's harder than it looks!
Logan and Mrs. Allmon.
Jackson and Mr. Schoonover. 
 The Hawk, making his last appearance for this school year. Not too long into the school year, Ryan was asking me when he could dress up next as The Hawk. I won't lie.  I was a little concerned with how much he was loving his new found profession.  Although, as long as he brings in some extra dough on the side, I don't care what he dresses up as on the street corner.
 
I love everything about elementary school.  Especially Valley View.  I had so much fun being involved with the PTA and helping at the events with my kids.  This is time that I will never get back.  And soon, they may not want me showing up at their school activities (because at some point, it's just not cool, or so I've heard), so I'm taking advantage while I can.  This past year was definitely a family affair with the kids helping me at PTA activities, Ryan becoming one with The Hawk and Ryder, well Ryder got much better at the DS this year after bringing it to every one of my meetings. I can't wait to see what next year brings.  With that being said,
Til' next year...

2 comments: