Saturday, March 19, 2011

Big Buns - Final Post, I Promise

The Holy Cow Boutique is gone now. And with it, went Big Buns.  This is the last post about Big Buns, for now.  I don't think I've even written this much about my own kids.  But this last story is worth noting.  Last Thursday, less than 24 hours after I had made my first Big Buns purchase of the week, Ryan asked if I would pick us up another roll to enjoy while watching a movie that night.  So I headed down to the boutique, saw my good friend and started chatting.  That's when the unthinkable happened.  At approximately 7:57 p.m., a few minutes before closing, a booming voice came over the loud speaker in the building.  "Big Buns are now half off until they're gone."  In all the years I had frequented the Holy Cow, I had never been present during this kind of announcement. Now, when I say there was a stampede, I'm not joking.  Mothers dropped their shopping bags and left their kids crying in the aisles.  Shoppers left their place in line and ran for the back of the store.  Was there a fire?  No.  Big Buns were half off.  Unfortunately, I had already purchased my roll a few minutes earlier at the full price of $2.50.  But that didn't matter.  I excused myself in mid-conversation with my friend and went to make my purchase.  I thought for sure the goods would be gone.  But to my surprise, there were still some raspberry and orange rolls left.  I looked around to see if this was some kind of hidden camera prank, where you think you're going to walk out the door with Big Buns and then they come out laughing at you because they're gone.  But this was no joke. I walked up and purchased two to go at half price.  Armed with three Big Buns I headed home thinking, if this doesn't make me mom and wife of the year, I don't know what will.  The kids partook, Ryan devoured and I watched.  I didn't think I would ever say this but I think I ate myself sick of the Big Buns and I banned myself from the buns until May. 
Here's the damage from this time around:
Total Big Bun Count: 4.  1 cinnamon, 1 orange and 2 raspberry.
Number eaten in the morning for breakfast: 2
Number eaten by myself: 1
Number of stare downs with the Big Buns ladies: 2 1/2
Total cost: $7.50
The look on the faces of my family when I walked through the door with 3 Big Buns: priceless.
Until May...

1 comment:

  1. Big buns have never made me feel more alive!
    I think you should get that saying in vinyl letters and put them on your wall. Or maybe you could sell it at the Holy Cow.

    ReplyDelete