What does the coming of a new season bring?
Ideas for re-decorating and some Spring cleaning that gives the saying, "Out with the old" all new meaning.
I've been going room to room deciding what furniture I can sell, repurpose or just throw away. However, with new decorating ideas, comes a pre-apology to Ryan for a honey-do list that will far surpass any other he has been given in our 12.4 years of marital bliss. The current list will include sawing, nail-gunning, chopping, painting, rewiring, sanding, priming, and much more. It started this weekend with a light I have wanted to replace for awhile. The old over the kitchen sink light. Nothing necessarily wrong, but I wanted something a little more chunky that had some character.
A light I had been eyeing for months was the $100 globe pendant light from West Elm.
Enter Grandma Lily. I didn't know her, but it sounds like she was one fine lady. My good friend Natalie called and told me she had passed away, that her house was going to be demolished and to come down and take a look for any antiques that might catch my eye. That's when I saw it. It was as if Grandma Lily willed me to look up. What may have gone unnoticed as an ugly eye sore of a light, was calling my name and asking me to give it a new home.
Don't let the brass fool you. She really is a gem.
Seeing the look on Ryan's face when I brought it home, told me I had some convincing to do. And referring to it as a, "priceless, vintage work of art" didn't help my case. But when I told him the other option was the $100 light from West Elm, he jumped on board with rewiring the free one from Grandma Lily.
Here she is in all her glory with a new home above the kitchen sink.
I firmly believe spray paint can fix just about anything so I sprayed the brass hardware white and Ryan replaced the three small bulbs and rewired it with one clear bulb. I decided not to have it hang and instead left it flush with the ceiling.
Voila! A free, funky chunky light with some character.
One project down...26 more to go.
Sweetie, get your gloves on.

oh my gosh, i LOVE that light. perfect find!
ReplyDeleteGrandma LILLY had taste and probably did not even know it! Congrats the light is cute and you have skills when it comes to find cool things like that.
ReplyDelete