Valentine's Day 2011 recap:
5:45 a.m. - I attend a spin class for the first time in months. By 9:00 a.m., the phrase "saddle sore" takes on a whole new meaning and I start walking bowlegged to ease the pain.
11:00 a.m. - I head down to the school and start setting up a chocolate fountain for the teachers as a little Valentine's gift to them from the PTA. I stay during most of the lunch break to "monitor" the fountain and make sure none of the goodies run low. In reality, I'm not monitoring, I'm dipping and eating more than the 32 faculty and staff combined.
12:30 p.m. - I drop in on the kids' Valentine's Day parties.
3:00 p.m. - I stop by Magelby's and pick up some breadsticks for dinner. I had originally planned to get six, but when the cashier said they're cheaper by the dozen, I upped the order to 12.
By the time I get home, I've eaten two.
5:30 p.m. - we sit down for dinner. On the menu:
Chicken Cordon Bleu. This is my special occasion default menu item, because it sounds fancier than it is. I buy the frozen ones and then add my own special sauce. The kids love it.
Buttered Green Beans. Any vegetable sounds better when you use the word, "buttered" in front of it.
Rice.
Breadsticks.
A little bubbly, a.k.a. Martinellis.
This wasn't just any Valentine's Day Dinner. This was Valentine's Day Dinner by candlelight. And since it wasn't dark yet, we had to improvise. So we close the blinds, turn off the lights and light the candles. Within a couple of minutes, Ryan complains that he can't see his food. I tell him it's called ambiance, and to deal with it because this dinner by candlelight occasion happens once a year and we are not turning on the lights. Then Ryder says he can't see his food either. I give in a little and let some light in because a three year old that can't see his food could mean disaster. The dinner that took me over an hour to prepare, is over in 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
(By the way, I ate two more breadsticks during dinner).
Before dinner in the dark...
7:00 p.m. - we head to the Utah Flash game for our evening activity.
8:30 p.m. - we get back home and I realize that the kids haven't bathed in three days. Come to think of it, have I? We hurry and do the scrub down get them in bed and then settle in for movie.
9:30 p.m. - but not before I make some coconut hot chocolate that will wash down the free chocolate cake that Magelby's was giving out. Ryan picks the movie. His choice is "Taken" with Liam Neesen. Nothing says romance like a movie about a teenage girl that gets kidnapped into sex slavery. My dreams of watching The Dawn Scene from Pride and Prejudice side by side with him and calling him Mr. LeMone are gone.
11:00 p.m. - we call it a night and Valentine's 2011 is over.
Although he complained about eating in the dark and picked a not-so-romantic movie, I need to give credit where credit is due. Ryan gave me a couple of great presents. First, he surprised me last weekend by cutting his hair. He starts growing his winter mane in November and grows it out until Spring. Do I like the fact that my husband can grow his hair long...yes. Do I like the growing out process...no. It looks like an 80's fuzzball. So I beg him to cut it from the moment he starts growing it out. After the surprise hair cut, we went to dinner and a play.
It was a great surprise and a really fun night.
That's my recap of this year's Valentine's holiday.
But, this is the real reason we should celebrate it each year:
Logan's Valentine to his best friend Noelle

5:45 a.m. - I attend a spin class for the first time in months. By 9:00 a.m., the phrase "saddle sore" takes on a whole new meaning and I start walking bowlegged to ease the pain.
11:00 a.m. - I head down to the school and start setting up a chocolate fountain for the teachers as a little Valentine's gift to them from the PTA. I stay during most of the lunch break to "monitor" the fountain and make sure none of the goodies run low. In reality, I'm not monitoring, I'm dipping and eating more than the 32 faculty and staff combined.
12:30 p.m. - I drop in on the kids' Valentine's Day parties.
3:00 p.m. - I stop by Magelby's and pick up some breadsticks for dinner. I had originally planned to get six, but when the cashier said they're cheaper by the dozen, I upped the order to 12.
By the time I get home, I've eaten two.
5:30 p.m. - we sit down for dinner. On the menu:
Chicken Cordon Bleu. This is my special occasion default menu item, because it sounds fancier than it is. I buy the frozen ones and then add my own special sauce. The kids love it.
Buttered Green Beans. Any vegetable sounds better when you use the word, "buttered" in front of it.
Rice.
Breadsticks.
A little bubbly, a.k.a. Martinellis.
This wasn't just any Valentine's Day Dinner. This was Valentine's Day Dinner by candlelight. And since it wasn't dark yet, we had to improvise. So we close the blinds, turn off the lights and light the candles. Within a couple of minutes, Ryan complains that he can't see his food. I tell him it's called ambiance, and to deal with it because this dinner by candlelight occasion happens once a year and we are not turning on the lights. Then Ryder says he can't see his food either. I give in a little and let some light in because a three year old that can't see his food could mean disaster. The dinner that took me over an hour to prepare, is over in 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
(By the way, I ate two more breadsticks during dinner).
Before dinner in the dark...
7:00 p.m. - we head to the Utah Flash game for our evening activity.
8:30 p.m. - we get back home and I realize that the kids haven't bathed in three days. Come to think of it, have I? We hurry and do the scrub down get them in bed and then settle in for movie.
9:30 p.m. - but not before I make some coconut hot chocolate that will wash down the free chocolate cake that Magelby's was giving out. Ryan picks the movie. His choice is "Taken" with Liam Neesen. Nothing says romance like a movie about a teenage girl that gets kidnapped into sex slavery. My dreams of watching The Dawn Scene from Pride and Prejudice side by side with him and calling him Mr. LeMone are gone.
11:00 p.m. - we call it a night and Valentine's 2011 is over.
Although he complained about eating in the dark and picked a not-so-romantic movie, I need to give credit where credit is due. Ryan gave me a couple of great presents. First, he surprised me last weekend by cutting his hair. He starts growing his winter mane in November and grows it out until Spring. Do I like the fact that my husband can grow his hair long...yes. Do I like the growing out process...no. It looks like an 80's fuzzball. So I beg him to cut it from the moment he starts growing it out. After the surprise hair cut, we went to dinner and a play.
It was a great surprise and a really fun night.
That's my recap of this year's Valentine's holiday.
But, this is the real reason we should celebrate it each year:
Logan's Valentine to his best friend Noelle
No comments:
Post a Comment