Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Becoming Betty

Last night was the Blue and Gold Banquet and cake auction.  Last night I was asked to bring a cake and a side dish of Jello.  Last night I failed to do both and took one step back in my attempt to become more like Betty.  Betty Crocker. 
Here are pictures of Bettys throughout the ages:
Here is why my portrait will never be included with theirs: 
My vision was a double layer yellow cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles.  So I greased up the cake pans and filled them each with 1 box of cake mix.  It wasn't until we smelled burning metal and opened the over door to a small puff of smoke, that Ryan questioned what I had done.  He looked at the back of the box and then looked at me.  "Did you put 1 box of cake mix in each pan or half a box in both pans?" I grabbed the box to look at the directions myself.  I thought the picture of the double 8 inch round pans meant that I could cook two pans of cakes at the same time and technically it did.  However, they should have been filled with batter from the same box. (In my defense, it didn't specify that technicality anywhere).  Instead of answering his question, I quietly got in the car and made a Wal-Mart run for a new cake.  (He cleaned up the mess).  On my way home from the store, with only minutes to spare before the banquet, I called to see if he could put the whipped cream on the Jello.  There were a few seconds of silence until he broke the news that the Jello was still liquid. Yes. I am a Mormon, married mom of three that has only made Jello a few times in my life (unsuccessfully) and I'm fully
aware that there should be a support group for people like me. Jelloers Anonymous.  Those who have only made Jello a few times, but due to religious stereotypes, should be known to make it with their eyes closed. Until that group is organized, I'll be reading the directions more carefully and keeping a fire extinguisher close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment