Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wax on, wax off....

I was asked to give a talk in church this Sunday. 
This means the following:
1)  I've made an appointment with my friend/neighbor/hair stylist, Michelle for a cut and color.  I'm not joking when I say it's been since October since my last visit to the salon.  I think I've been trying to see how long a blonde can go in the winter months without highlighting her hair.  It's been a painful process and one that probably hasn't been worth it.  Now, I've decided that it's not worth the risk of ruining the reputation of me and my family by speaking in front of 200 people with 3 months worth of regrowth.
2)  Meet up with another good friend, Gigi, to wax off "The Tom Selleck Stache" that's been catching my eye every time I look in the mirror. There's a couple of mirrors that provide the perfect lighting for discovering unwanted facial hair.  One is in the kids' room.  When the sunlight hits it just right, it's like facial hair jackpot.  The other is the rear view mirror in my car.  I keep a pair of tweezers in the console so when the sunlight comes in at just the right angle, I can pluck out the hairs that I wouldn't have seen before in the shadows.  For the safety of yourself and other passengers, this technique should only be done at stop signs or stoplights.  Not going 80 miles an hour down the freeway.  And sure, people are going to look, but who cares, they're just wondering why they hadn't thought about keeping a pair of tweezers in their car.
Tutorial on waxing:
Meet Gigi
I picked her up at Sally Beauty for a mere $30.  Trust me, it's the best $30 you'll ever spend.  I know some like to frequent the salon for waxing, but for anything above the neck, you can do it yourself.  One, it's cheaper.  And two, it's available 24/7 for those last minute emergencies.  Anything below the neck should be done by a professional and is not something you want to mess around with, experimenting with hot wax by yourself. 
Next, turn on some tunes because you're going to
be in there a good 20 minutes. 
 I prefer the Magnum P.I. theme to get things started, it seems appropriate for the occasion.  Then I move on to a little Kings of Leon.  Create a playlist if necessary and find songs with a good beat.  You don't want to be too relaxed.  You need to be totally focused and not risk coming out with only one eyebrow. 
Lock the door... for a few reasons. 
1) You're hubby doesn't need to know how the facial hair comes off, just that there is no facial hair.
2)  You don't need the neighbor kids popping in to
see what your up to.
3)  There may be some obscenities yelled out during the waxing process depending on the length and depth of the stubble.
Cut the waxing strips in half. 
Dip the stick in the wax.  
This was tricky to take a picture of the process with one hand and I wasn't about to risk the hot wax dripping in places it shouldn't, so blurry is the best I could do. Coat the stache with wax, place the wax paper on top, rub your finger over it a few times to make sure it's got a good hold.  Wait about 10 seconds.  Rip off fast and pray.  Rub some vitamin E oil on the waxed skin.  Also, we're not just waxing staches here.  I'm also talking above, below and inbetween the eyebrows and any moles that may have that single haired straggler that needs to come off.  You'll thank me later.
Don't plan on leaving the house for at least an hour because there's going to be redness and lots of it. 
You're going to need some recovery time. 
Are you asking yourself who has time to post a tutorial on waxing facial hair?  Don't worry, I'm asking myself the same thing.  It's January, it's cold outside and there really isn't a whole lot going on right now.  So, there may be a few more tutorials to come between now and spring.
Now, back to writing my talk...

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you are the coolest. I totally have a stache right now and i feel like I can not look in anyone straight in their face. Imagine, sunshine- pretty much all the time..provides much opportunity for people to see your stubble. Thanks for the reminder...I too believe in the gigi until I accidentally dumped it all over my floor...."WHAT THE!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this post, hilarious! good luck with your talk!

    ReplyDelete